Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Busy Start to the Week!

I thought Terrieha would want to spend the weekend relaxing with each other, but I couldn’t be more wrong as she kept driving me to work around the house and yard all weekend long. We decided that we should probably take a day off from working out so on Saturday morning we went for a short trail run at Keisel Park and then took Sunday off. Unfortunately, we spent the rest of the weekend unpacking and setting up our office. For some reason, this room has seemed to take the longest out of any other in the house. I don’t know if it’s because of all the paperwork or the size of the room (it is quite small so finding the right place for something can be extremely difficult). There is also the problem that even though Terrieha and I have been together for over six years, we’ve never spent the time to thoroughly organize, condense, and combine our two sets of files, largely for good reason: I LOATHE paperwork! I tend to think of myself more as a big picture kind of person so I knew this was going to be a challenge for the two of us.

After almost two days, we finally had everything worked out and somewhat manageable in the office. Below are some pics of it. First off, the green was NOT our doing; it was completed by the previous owner for some unknown reason. With all of the work going on around the house, I really haven’t felt like taking on another painting project just yet…so in a few months, I’ll get around to making it a more neutral color. The big posters are research posters from Terrieha’s and mine masters degree. Feel free to check out more information on them here. AND yes, I know the paint color is really horrendous, but that is easily changed…and will be!

CIMG1282 CIMG1283 CIMG1284

On another note, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law (the same SIL that stayed with us for several weeks earlier this summer) got into town in on Monday for a few day stay. Most summers, my MIL returns to her roots and stays at her family’s property in the western part of Virginia. Since we actually hadn’t gotten to see Terrieha’s mom since our wedding, and her mom hadn’t seen our new house, the proximity of Auburn to her mother’sIMG00099-20100726-1746 return path to Florida made for a great opportunity for some catch up time! So far, one of the best things to happen is that we were able to convince the MIL that Tigertown was a tiger exhibit, put together by Auburn University, and that she would be able to pet a real tiger! Though I know the petting part isn’t possible at LSU, they do have a similar exhibit for Mike the Tiger so it wasn’t that farfetched. To say the least, it was hilarious to see her quivering in her shoes like the cowardly lion. For those that don’t know, Tigertown is not a tiger exhibit, but rather a large shopping center made up of primarily big box stores. The most danger we had yesterday was when my SIL, Tabitha, straddled one of the concrete lions and tried to ride it like a bull! Though the climb up was quite treacherous for her uncoordinated self, it didn’t up like this.

I know today’s blog was a bit of a diversion from the normal material, but don’t fret, life will return to normal tomorrow. I have some great photos that I took of Lolo Jones at an LSU Invitational earlier this year. They really exhibit great sprinting form and catch about the first 10 meters of her start. I also have some great videos of triple jumpers, as well as barefoot running, that I have taken that I will get posted in the next week or so. Since I feel like staying busy, coming up in the next days will be the debut of my Fitness & Training page. While I don’t want to give away too much just yet, it will be similar in format to my research page in that it will be in a state of constant development containing an ongoing list of new publications. Hopefully, it will be a great source for individuals to seek out exercise and program design ideas.

PalmSpringsGoatTrails-15JAN05-03 Finally, I’d feel guilty if I didn’t post anything about my workouts for the past few days. Yesterday was a two-a-day with a morning workout consisting of 6*300m at about 85% [I walked 200m (3 to 3:30 minutes) for recovery]. The evening workout consisted of some tennis with Terrieha and Tabitha. This morning was a brutal hill workout: 1 mile warm-up, then 2 sets of hill repeats. Each set consisted of 4 climbs and three descents of the same hill. The hill was about a quarter-mile in length and on an 18% or so grade. Each set took about 8:45 which is a slight improvement from the week before. In case you’re wondering, no workout tonight…hopefully! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment