Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Article for mothers...and a speed workout!

Yesterday, I promised to post some information for all of the mothers and MTB out there. In this weeks edition of the ACSM's Sports Medicine Bulletin, there was an article discussing the correlation of a mothers aerobic fitness and physical activity levels during pregnancy and her child's BMI levels during pre-adolescence. Of particular interest is that the authors found an inverse relationship between a mothers current aerobic fitness and her child's BMI, body fat percentage, and waist circumference during years aged 8 - 10. For more information, please check out Active Voice: More Maternal Physical Activity May lead to Leaner Pre-Adolescent Children. It's a fairly easy read and won't take but a couple minutes.

Personally, I'm working on my reviving my own research study at Auburn that I was forced to table while at UCCS. Essentially, I'm looking to analyze the effect that bilateral or unilateral training has on the lower extremity and the development of leg dominance, particularly during high force production situations. Currently, I'm working with my advisor at AU to see if we can make some changes in order to make it a more manageable study for us as this was a previous issue with it at UCCS. Because it will be a training study, securing long-term commitments from
participants is a must. I'll post more as it develops. I'm hoping to have a write-up completed sometime by late spring or early summer of next year.

Finally, I had an amazing workout this morning. Because of our HUGE backyard (we live on 1.25 acres), I'm able to do most SAQ style workouts at home. It was a nice change of pace from the track or bicycle. Of course, my pup Gator was there pushing me the entire time. All-in-all, the workout took about 60 minutes, consisting of a series of middle distance sprints, numerous agility drills, and a few ladder combinations. Sound like fun, huh? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment